What's new

Crathen Wins MKX Italian Tournament, Test Your Pride, In Rome

Unfortunately i wasn't able to attend the tournament (last minute job issues and yes, you work on sundays too when you are a musician), but what an event! The hype was through the roof and we had 260 viewers during Grand Finals! Crathen managed to take one for Italy after a very close bracket reset by LLL.Taco thanks to his "Pistolero" Erron Black.

Results!!
1) Crathen - Italy (Outlaw/Gunslinger Erron Black)
2) LLL.Taco - Netherlands (Grandmaster Sub Zero/Tempest Kung Lao/Buzzsaw Kung Lao)
3) FireBreather - Ireland (Stunt Double Johnny Cage)
4) Asodimazze - Italy (A-List Johnny Cage/ Shaolin Kung Jin/ Ruthless Ferra-Torr)
5) Vak Phoenix - Czech Republic (Kobu Jutsu Tanya)
5) Octagon| Jupe - Finland (All variations Kano)
7) BB Snoop - Poland
7) Semensatch - Italy
9) Sassolino - Italy
9) BB Thorx - Poland
9) DavideHT - Italy
9) Loudsandman - Italy
13) FMHeart - Italy
13) Andrea Marsella - Italy
13) Lintinisi - Italy
13) KuroChan - Italy

Crathen managed to kill all the competition, facing all the favourites in the tournament during his run to the victory (Taco,Vak Phoenix,FireBreather,Asodimazze), thanks to his great space control and baiting skills. Seriously, if you want to learn to bait and punish wakeup armored reversal, just take a page from Crathen's book. He showcased the most calculated and well-thought gameplay i saw so far in MKX, not getting caught by a single armored reversal on wakeup and almost never missing a punish.
LLL.Taco, on the other hand, gave Crathen a run for his money with his excellent Sub Zero, by far one of the best Europe can offer. Great rushdown play and corner traps.
FireBreather did an excellent showing too, winning against everyone but the two finalists.
Asodimazze had an excellent run too. I was not surprised cause he's still one of the best players in Italy (one of the most entertaining ones to watch for sure) and his counterpick strategies were on point. He almost defeated Taco with his switch to Ferra-Torr against Sub Zero, but Taco was one step ahead of him with his counter-switch. Their match was one of the hypest matches in the tournament.
I think everyone in Europe knows Vak Phoenix's rushdown abilities with Tanya. Like FireBreather, he had an excellent showing but lost to Crathen and Taco (he just met them before FireBreather, bad luck for him i guess :D).
Excellent performance by the European PC Players Semensatch (Jax-Kotal Kahn), Jupe (Kano- All Variations) and Sassolino (Impostor Shinnok), showing real determination developing their skills on the worst PC port in videogame history.
A big thanks to everyone taking part in this fantastic event, both italian AND foreign players, the TOs and staff members, and to everyone watching the stream! The tournament was a success and the next one will be even better so stay tuned!

Full challonge bracket with results:

http://challonge.com/testyourpride

Twitch archive (Youtube videos incoming):

http://www.twitch.tv/igchannel/v/27107209

@Vak Phoenix @Crathen @Asodimazze @WiseM0nkey @rubmytaco @Jupe @Tim Static

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i can speak for everyone that the tournament was amazing. the venue was ultra cool, people were extremely kind and nice, especially the staff. huge shoutout to Fillipo, who is one of the nicest people ever and organized the whole thing.
i had a blast there, met so many awesome people and had a lot of fun.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Great write-up of the tournament. @SchiacciSempre, very sad that you couldn't make it to the tournament after everything you've done to promote this and make it possible.

I obviously don't like losing, but Crathen is an amazing player and I'm happy he was able to make his fellow Italians proud. There were a lot of good players at this tournament, which meant that nobody got a free ride. @FireBreather @Asodimazze @SaSSolino @Vak Phoenix and everyone else in top 16 did really well and you should be proud of your accomplishment.

Lastly, I want to give a special shout-out to Filippo, the tournament organizer. This guy gave me a place to stay during the weekend, helped me get around, and ran a great tournament. Thanks so much to him. He's an amazing person.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Other than my outside clumsy travel problems the Venue was fucking fantastic

Fili is a hero, he was super cool and very helpful a very nice guy too

Will definitely being going again if it doesn't interfere with exams

Im just disappointed how free i looked in the Losers and winners final, as thats the footage most people will watch, when Crathen killed my momentum.

I was seriously outplayed
Good stuff

and congrats on the Win Crathen

DavideHT

You will learn respect
I enjoyed it a lot! Really nice experience, fantastic players and high level matches (many of these alcoholic, but that's another story i guess :D).
Great italian performance in general, especially by Sassolino, Asodimazze, Semensatch and Crathen which showed kind of skill. I'm proud of my performance too, even if some matchup was unknown to me but i'll try to learn and improve from this!

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Well done to crathen and rest of top 8, you put on a hell of a show. That whole tourny was just awesome from getting the good matches on stream to the godlike format you guys were using. Very sad i couldnt be there but major prop to the italy fgc for this. Others should take notes