What's new

Cheap PS4 fightsticks?

Gamer68

Fujin!
So I've been getting into Street Fighter recently. I've been playing a lot of Ultra Street Fighter IV on PC, and I'm looking forward to Street Fighter V on PS4.

Currently I'm using a DualShock 4 to play SF. However, I'm having a bit of an issue with it. Let me start off by saying I like the DS4 and I can play games like MKX just fine with it. But while playing SF, I have an issue with pulling off certain combos that require you to go fast and make quick cancel inputs. I also have an issue with pulling off special moves inconsistently -- sometimes I try to do a Hadoken but instead I get a normal punch. Now, this doesn't happen ALL the time, but it does happen every now and then.

This is obviously because of the pad. Rolling across the buttons on the DS4 pad can be an issue sometimes, and it makes quarter circle (QC), half circle (HC) and 360 motions not input correctly sometimes. So I tried using the joystick on the controller to see how that works, and I could tell it was instantly better. The special input motions (QC, HC, and 360) were easier to do, and so were some of the combos. But I can't use the joystick on the controller because I can only use my thumb (of course) and it can be really sensitive, and will cause me to make inputs I didn't mean to do -- say jump forward/backwards, so at the end of the day it's worse than playing with the pad.

So basically, I kinda need a Fightstick. While I'm okay at playing with the DS4 pad, not being able to pull off certain things can be annoying. So since I play on PS4 and PC, I will of course need one for the PS4. I was wondering if there was any cheap Fightsticks for the PS4? I don't really want to drop $150 - $200+ on one, especially since I'm not going to be playing in tournaments or anything. I've also never used a Fightstick before, so I don't want to drop that much money on something I've never used before. Any recommendations?

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I'm the same boat as you. Apparently the TE2 is a great stick but 200+ for a stick? After my birthday, I'll probably take the dive. I've already started making the artwork for it anyways.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Guys, post on Shoryuken looking for a stick builder or check Amazon. They're out there for less.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
That might work. It's only available in the UK but I could get it shipped here in the US (that's what the page says, anyway). Apparently it will only cost about $4 for shipping. So in-total only about $74 which isn't to bad at all. Thanks for the recommendation!
It's called venom arcade stick if you want to look for an American seller

Gamer68

Fujin!
...and you can usually buy Sanwa parts and switch them out relatively easily if you don't like how it feels.
Let's say I was to swap the parts for the stick and the buttons, how do I know which parts to buy and replace them with? Like, what parts work/don't work with this stick?

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
@Gamer68 hi man, i want give my honest opinion. I was always pad player because played only mk and a little bit tekken. Now im using ds4 and I really like this pad, but this one is already my 3rd, it feels very cheap because after 2 months directions became very sensitive and execution fail much. I was inspired by pdp mkx pad but after visiting many forums its very very cheap. I used sfxtekken and same, work perfectly but brake in a week. More : i hate arcade sticks because of size and stick himself, fail much. I played too much on pc before so keyboard is familiar to me.
Conclusion : hori fc4 fightpad is good but 60$ and i am looking only for ps4 games like mkx, tekken7, sfV, guilty gear that why I prefered to wait the ps4 version of hitbox. Its smaller that arcade stick and there are only buttons, more ergonomical. My gave me his arcade stick and in 3 hours my execution is already well and some moves like cammy instant dive kick I execute much better than on ds4 that's why Im pretty sure that after 1 2 hours of play i will execute perfectly everything on hitbox and will never back to a pad. Because you cant lose execution if you dont miss the button.
Hitboxarcade.com

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Let's say I was to swap the parts for the stick and the buttons, how do I know which parts to buy and replace them with? Like, what parts work/don't work with this stick?
The last time I did this was over 10 years ago, but the info was readily available then - so its certainly going to be available now.

I would ask on SRK to get the best info, but if you want to know right away - just do a search.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Okay, so I've been doing some research on this fightstick: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officially-Licensed-Playstation-Arcade-Stick/dp/B00NHDSINS/ref=pd_cp_63_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0APQH6R6VP2Z2PBV1E05

I was wrong about the price before, it's actually 77.99 British Pounds, which is around 121 US Dollars. This sucks because I misread it first and though it was only going to cost around $80 + shipping to get the stick.

I also looked up how good the parts are and apparently the buttons are pretty bad. They are knock-off Sanwa parts, but they described as being slightly harder to press (tighter) and less responsive. The buttons also don't have micro switches on them which makes the tightness/responsiveness thing worse. Apparently, when you press them you don't get that "click" noise that you hear a lot of fightsticks (in-fact, most fightsticks) have.

You can replace the buttons with OBSF 30mm Sanwa's, like these: http://www.focusattack.com/black-rim-sanwa-obsf-30mm-pushbutton-light-blue-black/
That type of button I linked also has micro switches on them already, and of course there's plenty of different colors you can get. It will cost about $20 + Shipping to get 8 of these, so around $24 or so in total for the upgrade -- depends on how much Focus Attack charges for shipping. Also, the fightstick has quick connects/disconnects on the buttons so replacing them is easy.

Over all, it will cost around $160 in total to get this stick to the quality I want it. Some other things about the stick is that it doesn't have a touch pad, or a button that uses the same input you get when you press down the touch pad (which is Select on PS3) -- which means any functions in games that uses that button cannot be used (like repositioning in training mode in MKX). It also doesn't seem to have any buttons for L3 and R3 inputs, which means any functions in games that uses those buttons cannot be used (like memory setting in USFIV's training mode). I also heard about some issues about the joystick, like it's a little tighter than you would want it to be -- but nothing major. For the most part people don't seem to have an issue with it, but if you don't like it and want to replace it that will be an additional cost.

I think I'm just going to skip this fightstick. If was the price I originally thought it was going to be and it didn't have any missing inputs, then I would get it. Anyway, I also found this stick: http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade-Pro-PlayStation-4/dp/B00SULMRI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439165312&sr=8-1&keywords=PS4+fightstick

It's available in the US, and it will cost about the same amount it would have had to spend on the other fightstick -- if not less. But it has the inputs that it was missing from the other one, so that's another plus. However, I don't know anything about the quality of the buttons/joystick on this fightstick, so I'm going to have to look into that. If it turns out that this stick needs $20+ in upgrades and some issues like the other stick, then I guess I will just have to wait for a different good (but cheap) PS4 fightstick to be available. I wasn't going to get one to soon anyway, I was going to hold out until later this year. Anyway, when I find more information about this fightstick I will post it.

Reactions: GAV

st9rm

viennality.com
@Gamer68

i own the Hori RAP 4 and recently bought the venom fightstick, since i wanted to mod that one

since i was so used to the hayabusa joystick, i added this one to the venom as well as sanwa buttons
the great thing about the stick is, that you can replace the artwork

just finished mine yesterday and it looks and plays great imo:

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
@Gamer68

i own the Hori RAP 4 and recently bought the venom fightstick, since i wanted to mod that one

since i was so used to the hayabusa joystick, i added this one to the venom as well as sanwa buttons
the great thing about the stick is, that you can replace the artwork

just finished mine yesterday and it looks and plays great imo:

thats looks amazing