What's new

Character types in Injustice advantages/disadvantages...

Lazoruz

Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!
Hi all,
As you can see I'm planning on maining Solomon Grundy when Injustice releases. However I wanted to know your thoughts on the character gameplay types we've see thus far. For example, we all know Grundy is a grappler, and Green Arrow and Cyborg are zone characters, Catwoman and Nightwing are rush down characters, Joker, Harley Quinn and Batman are midrange characters. So which character type do you feel will have the best overall game-play style and ability to compete at a high level?

From the gameplay footage we got today I saw Grundy (even though people voted for Green Lantern) having the ability to throw grapple attacks that can't be blocked and chain the throws as a HUGE advantage, but his mobility is a little lacking. He makes up for it with his Swamp Hands ability to pin down opponents. and Aquaman has that crazy multi-hit spear move. So I'd lean towards Grundy.

What do you all think is the best advantage of character types in Injustice?

THEORY AND SPECULATION INC.. STFU!

Cyborg looks complete boss right now.

He can zone Grundy all day because once youre close enough to use an armored throw he will zipline away. Thats what the MU looks like to me, unless you can swamp hand Cyborg on reaction when he decides to zipline and catch him on the way down.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
IMO X-ups (and the ensuing vortexes), resets and the ability to land your super are going to dictate initially the overall game play of Injustice.

If you can X-up easily, safely and into high damaging combos (resets or otherwise) then you'll definitely be close to the top tiers. Since this is a universal mechanic, everyone will have it. But, as with all universal mechanics, some will have 'better' ones than others. It would be interesting to see if Grapple characters can chain their throws from a X-up - those that can will have an advantage than those that can't.

Similarly, quite a few characters revealed so far have ways of creating resets or bomb traps (lex and cyborg come to mind) - these will most certainly dictacte those character play styles and separate the cream from the crop, so to speak. Whilst not neccesarily top tier making material, resets can allow characters to get some real nasty damage for a correctly spaced and placed set-up.

Lastly, supers. Some characters can combo into them, some characters can combo out of them. I don't know how heavily damage is scaled in this game nor how quickly meter is built so I can't make any calls just yet.

But my initial feeling on the matter is anyone that can combo into it will have an advantage in terms of actually landing their super in the match (and it goes without saying if you can build meter faster and land your super in a combo, you've got a clear advantage than those who don't). Thus, their individual threat level is going to be quite high to start with i.e. they will be the most dominant and popular characters - at least until people have figured out the game.

My two cents.

Lazoruz

Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!
IMO X-ups (and the ensuing vortexes), resets and the ability to land your super are going to dictate initially the overall game play of Injustice.

If you can X-up easily, safely and into high damaging combos (resets or otherwise) then you'll definitely be close to the top tiers. Since this is a universal mechanic, everyone will have it. But, as with all universal mechanics, some will have 'better' ones than others. It would be interesting to see if Grapple characters can chain their throws from a X-up - those that can will have an advantage than those that can't.

Similarly, quite a few characters revealed so far have ways of creating resets or bomb traps (lex and cyborg come to mind) - these will most certainly dictacte those character play styles and separate the cream from the crop, so to speak. Whilst not neccesarily top tier making material, resets can allow characters to get some real nasty damage for a correctly spaced and placed set-up.

Lastly, supers. Some characters can combo into them, some characters can combo out of them. I don't know how heavily damage is scaled in this game nor how quickly meter is built so I can't make any calls just yet.

But my initial feeling on the matter is anyone that can combo into it will have an advantage in terms of actually landing their super in the match (and it goes without saying if you can build meter faster and land your super in a combo, you've got a clear advantage than those who don't). Thus, their individual threat level is going to be quite high to start with i.e. they will be the most dominant and popular characters - at least until people have figured out the game.

My two cents.
I very much agree good sir! I personally feel that the zoning game maybe shut down by the (apparent) anti-projectile fields we saw with Aquaman (the water field ability). I saw Grundy has a similar ability with his Miasma ability (although I'm not sure what it dos yet). These thing could potentially put a dampener on zone characters or at least keep there zone game to a balanced level.