What's new

Strategy Batman's B1 1 2 String - Why Is It Hitting You?!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Just so we're clear - I'm addressing those who are fighting against Batman, not the ones using Batman, and this sort of criticism I want to offer is not meant to offend any players whatsoever. Anyone who knows me will understand that I tend to point out holes in everyone's gameplay, casuals and tournaments alike, in the interests of helping them overcome bad habits and replace them with better ones. I myself am guilty of doing things that I would go back over and criticize myself over...a lot.

Right, so down to business.

Here's a general rule of blocking against Batman: if you know enough about the character, you will be wary of his b1 low starter and therefore crouch-blocking a lot. Off of the b1, he can complete the following strings, one of which this thread will cover:

b1 1 3
b1 1 2

I bolded and italicized the string I will talk about. Specifically, b1 1 2, which hits in the following order of attack levels:

low, mid, overhead.

Whenever I see someone get hit by the third part of this string, it baffles me to no end. I will explain why.

After you block the b1 low starter from Batman, if you notice he is completing the string in one of the two orders I listed, stop crouch-blocking and stand-block instead. You have absolutely no reason to eat the overhead portion of his b1 1 2 string. If you're attempting to counter-poke or armor out in the midst of that string or his b1 1 3, I have some news for you...that won't work. There's no gap in those strings wide enough to allow for an attempt at an interruption.

I realize you can form a bit of a mix-up by replacing the overhead in his b1 1 2 string with his low-hitting slide (bf3), but considering that a blocked slide can be punished with a combo and you're at -2 off a slide that hits the opponent, why would you even go for it when you can opt for the safe overhead? You can't even capitalize on the knockdown a slide gives you.

However, from a knockdown off the overhead hit in b1 1 2, Batman has quite a good amount of advantage for HKD set-ups (I believe this stands for "hard knockdown). He can stuff your Wake-Up attempt with a meter-burned f3 or b3, or cross you up to confuse you, or even release his trait if it's active to worsen your situation. And if you stop using Wake-Ups, Batman can prey on this with his insane pressure game. Should you be caught in the corner, you'd best hope that the Dark Knight sacrifices his offensive control by accident.

On block, Batman is left at -4. It's not much disadvantage, but combine that with the pushback from his overhead and you should be able to retreat with a backdash rather than potentially get checked by an air blast or another armored launcher, or start your own offense if you have a fast enough normal to take advantage.

So...yeah. Don't keep eating the b1 1 2 string. Save yourself some health, dude. And before some other concerns are raised in this thread, I'm gonna address them now.

"What if Batman doesn't go into a string after his b1? He might go for another b1 and if I stop crouch-blocking then, I might get launched for a combo."

Indeed, you will, and this is exactly why I said, "if you notice he is completing the string in one of the two orders I listed." If he doesn't go into a string off of the b1, keep crouch-blocking. Because the first two hits of b1 1 2 are low and then mid, you can crouch-block both and then immediately stand-block so as to dispel the possibilities of getting launched by the low and knocked down by the overhead. You kill two birds with one stone as long as your reactions are sufficient.

"What if he goes for the f3 overhead after just doing a b1?"

The f3 overhead is twenty-nine frames, according to the in-game frame data, and a general rule I've come to learn about fighting games is that you can fuzzy-block, or block at the correct height on reaction, against any moves that are more than twenty frames. This remains true even if they meter-burn the f3 overhead. Once you're trained to recognize the animation of Batman's f3 overhead, you'll be blocking it more often. Alternatively, they can dash-cancel the f3 and take advantage of your hesitation so as to resume their offensive momentum or get some distance in order to zone. If they cancel the f3 with a forward dash, continue crouch-blocking.

"What about his infamous b2 3 string? The second hit is overhead."

If you see Batman's b2 in motion (described by a backwards swipe of mechanical bat claws), one of two things will happen: either he will complete the string you asked about, in which case you immediately stand-block after the b2...or like with b1, he won't go into the overhead and instead will attempt to trick you with his low launcher yet again. If you see Batman pause in his offense after a b2, quickly return to a crouch-blocking position. You also ought to keep in mind that Batman is at -9 on block from a naked b2. This more than likely means you can escape the follow-ups with a backdash before they hit, because it would take eighteen frames for his b1 to follow or fifteen for his six-frame jab which can be ducked. Same for his six-frame d1 becoming fifteen frames off a blocked b2.

"And his 1 2 3 string? The third hit is low."

Refer to my answer to the first bolded question. If you see Batman do his 1 2 string, definitely keep crouch-blocking to prepare for the low. I will also point out that if Batman has enough meter to spare, he can Bounce Cancel into a f3 overhead (ff + Meter-Burn) which can catch you off-guard. It's not a mix-up you see often because players understandably want to conserve their meter rather than blow it on Bounce Cancels, but I assure you, they can be useful.

One last thing I will point out.

Off of b1 1, rather than go into the overhead or the launcher, Batman can cancel into a meter-burned Batarang that will allow for a block advantage of 38. This is usually followed by a jump-2 into more offense from Batman. So after blocking a meter-burned Batarang, stand-block the jump-2 and then start holding down afterwards so that the b1 will become less of a cause for concern.

I think this just about covers everything I wanted to say. If any of this information I've presented turns out to be incorrect later on, I apologize in advance and will make the necessary edits. My only aim is to improve your defense against a character like Batman rather than just let you take damage for no reason at all. Online, this will be much easier said than done, but offline...you'll be surprised as long as you practice what was covered here.

And a quick disclaimer: this is not an attempt to downplay Batman. He's a very versatile character who possesses an answer for just about every situation this game has to offer. A candidate for top five, in my opinion.

Now I must return to guard duty for the sake of Gotham. Leave your comments here if you have any questions that I didn't address and I'll try to answer them.

*puts on his bat mask and swishes his cape around himself*

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
The only thing is when Batman hits you with b11 it's a mixup because he can do b11xxtraitxxb113 into his bnb.

When I first play someone I'll do b112 to see if they block standing on the last hit and if they do, then next time I hit em with b11cb b11 into a combo.

You can't interrupt b11xxtraitxxb11 nor react to it so b11 is a real 50/50. It's better to eat the overhead actually.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The only thing is when Batman hits you with b11 it's a mixup because he can do b11xxtraitxxb113 into his bnb.

When I first play someone I'll do b112 to see if they block standing on the last hit and if they do, then next time I hit em with b11cb b11 into a combo.

You can't interrupt b11xxtraitxxb11 nor react to it so b11 is a real 50/50. It's better to eat the overhead actually.

Yeah, I know. I kept the trait in mind while writing this. A good Batman will be using the threat of it to intimidate you while he rushes you down at will.

zaf

professor
Blake.....let me correct something.

You wrote this.

What about his infamous b2 3 string? The second hit is overhead."

If you see Batman's b2 in motion (described by a backwards swipe of mechanical bat claws), one of two things will happen: either he will complete the string you asked about, in which case you immediately stand-block after the b2...or like with b1, he won't go into the overhead and instead will attempt to trick you with his low launcher yet again. If you see Batman pause in his offense after a b2, quickly return to a crouch-blocking position. You also ought to keep in mind that Batman is at -9 on block from a b2. This more than likely means you can escape the follow-ups with a backdash before they hit, because it would take eighteen frames for his b1 to follow or fifteen for his six-frame jab which can be ducked. Same for his six-frame d1 which hits mid.

However after a b2, batman can also cancel b2 into trait, then go into b1 again. This is a great mix up.
The b23, normally makes people want to stand up to block it correctly.
Doing b2~trait cancel, into b1, essentially takes the need of the opponent to want to stand block again and makes it your strength by giving them a low where they expected an overhead.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Blake.....let me correct something.

You wrote this.

What about his infamous b2 3 string? The second hit is overhead."

If you see Batman's b2 in motion (described by a backwards swipe of mechanical bat claws), one of two things will happen: either he will complete the string you asked about, in which case you immediately stand-block after the b2...or like with b1, he won't go into the overhead and instead will attempt to trick you with his low launcher yet again. If you see Batman pause in his offense after a b2, quickly return to a crouch-blocking position. You also ought to keep in mind that Batman is at -9 on block from a b2. This more than likely means you can escape the follow-ups with a backdash before they hit, because it would take eighteen frames for his b1 to follow or fifteen for his six-frame jab which can be ducked. Same for his six-frame d1 which hits mid.

However after a b2, batman can also cancel b2 into trait, then go into b1 again. This is a great mix up.
The b23, normally makes people want to stand up to block it correctly.
Doing b2~trait cancel, into b1, essentially takes the need of the opponent to want to stand block again and makes it your strength by giving them a low where they expected an overhead.

Like I told Reno, I kept the concept of cancelling into trait in mind. Sometimes Batman won't have trait active or on hand, which is admittedly a scenario he rarely deals with, so I'm covering those possibilities.

zaf

professor
Like I told Reno, I kept the concept of cancelling into trait in mind. Sometimes Batman won't have trait active or on hand, which is admittedly a scenario he rarely deals with, so I'm covering those possibilities.

between using his f3, mb batarangs and his j2, he will almost always have at least 1 trait bat to be able to cancel into.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
Ahm ok, dude...if people couldn't figure out for themselves how to block against Batman, they shouldn't really play this game anymore.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Ahm ok, dude...if people couldn't figure out for themselves how to block against Batman, they shouldn't really play this game anymore.

Well, I do still see people get hit by the overhead for reasons that are beyond me. At least if I make an effort to make a guide and they choose not to take it for what it is, I can say that I at least tried to help set some things straight. *shrugs*

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
Well, I do still see people get hit by the overhead for reasons that are beyond me. At least if I make an effort to make a guide and they choose not to take it for what it is, I can say that I at least tried to help set some things straight. *shrugs*
I guess...I play soo many damn Batmans online that its like second nature for me to block his strings.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I guess...I play soo many damn Batmans online that its like second nature for me to block his strings.

Then you're very fortunate. :)

Lack of match-up experience plays more of a role than what you know when a player struggles against something. Even now, I'm still trying to figure out some particularly annoying match-ups that I almost never deal with. This includes getting hit by shit that, months down the road, I'll be surprised that I ever got by.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
B11 xx Slide Kick

Already pointed this out. The Slide Kick is full combo punishable and therefore not a mix-up worth going for, especially since it leads to no combos. And get this: when I would knock a Flash player down with the Slide Kick, they punish me with a Wake-Up Lightning Charge before I can fully recover. I don't know if all characters can do this, but that example just goes to show how horrid the slide's recovery is.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Asking why people get hit by a 50/50 -- that's like asking why people get hit by scorpion's vortex in MK9 :p

The answer: Batman is Dirty

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Asking why people get hit by a 50/50 -- that's like asking why people get hit by scorpion's vortex in MK9 :p

The answer: Batman is Dirty

Except it's not much of a 50/50 - not unless you are willing to risk getting combo-punished from a blocked slide. It could work as a surprise now and then, but not something I would trust. The overhead being safe on block takes the mix-up out altogether.

This becomes a very different story when Batman's trait is waiting to be used, of course, but my first reaction upon seeing the trait go active would be to keep blocking low unless I notice the f3 overhead.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Except it's not much of a 50/50 - not unless you are willing to risk getting combo-punished from a blocked slide. It could work as a surprise now and then, but not something I would trust. The overhead being safe on block takes the mix-up out altogether.

This becomes a very different story when Batman's trait is waiting to be used, of course, but my first reaction upon seeing the trait go active would be to keep blocking low unless I notice the f3 overhead.
Yeah, I'm not talking so much about the slide -- but when I play good Batman players (like say, Arma) they have a trait out much of the time. Which means that when you see b11, it's a guessing game.

P.S. Is Batman the new Sonya Blade?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Yeah, I'm not talking so much about the slide -- but when I play good Batman players (like say, Arma) they have a trait out much of the time. Which means that when you see b11, it's a guessing game.

You think that because you're flustered by the threat of the trait, which is entirely the point of Batman's strategy. This can make it understandably difficult to defend against him. But study his strings and memorize the correct blocking patterns for them. Even with trait out, none of the first hits in Batman's strings are overheads, so always block low and then fuzzy-block accordingly depending on what you see Batman doing.

Fuzzy-guarding, or blocking at the right height on reaction, will improve your chances against the character.

Another thing: the trait has NO blockstun. For example, when up-close to Aquaman (this is when his Water of Life trait is not active), I released the trait and tried to go in for offense, but kept getting d2'ed after he blocked the bats.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You think that because you're flustered by the threat of the trait, which is entirely the point of Batman's strategy. This can make it understandably difficult to defend against him. But study his strings and memorize the correct blocking patterns for them. Even with trait out, none of the first hits in Batman's strings are overheads, so always block low and then fuzzy-block accordingly depending on what you see Batman doing.

Fuzzy-guarding, or blocking at the right height on reaction, will improve your chances against the character.
Yeah, but can you really fuzzy b112 vs. b11xTraitxb1? (Inb4 "Daigo")

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Yeah, but can you really fuzzy b112 vs. b11xTraitxb1?

As soon as you hear the noise indicating that Batman's trait went active, hold down immediately.

If you're trying this online, I can understand you getting blown up, and even offline you'll need good reactions. Trust me, it works.

...the only time you need to worry is if he whips out MB Batarang for block advantage. Ten-second blockstrings, anyone? :D

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Then you're very fortunate. :)

Lack of match-up experience plays more of a role than what you know when a player struggles against something. Even now, I'm still trying to figure out some particularly annoying match-ups that I almost never deal with. This includes getting hit by shit that, months down the road, I'll be surprised that I ever got by.
agreed.i don't get a great deal of time to play so when I lose It seems to be me loosing to something I just don't know rather than me being outplayed,I guess I should try practice mode more lol.great thread though Blake,very helpful for me seeing as I didn't even know what batmans strings are lol.