What's new

Strategy Baraka Frame Data Conclusions - Block String Gaps

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
First of all, big credit to Somberness. I used his frame data to draw these conclusions.

This is a rough draft of a chart I made to show all of the frame gaps in Baraka's combo strings. ALL of his combo strings. I wanted to make these charts to see what strings are punishable, and what I can do to punish them. Some strings have large gaps. Some strings have gaps of only 1 or 2 frames. Unfortunately you have to know your own character's frame data to find out what you can punish with, but I plan on making these charts for as many characters as I can.

I want to point out though that just because something has a certain amount of frames in a gap, that doesn't necessarily mean that only moves of that amount of frames or less will win. Moves like mileena's d4 can throw things off due to having such a low hitbox, but this is a rare case.

Like I said earlier, this is a rough draft. If there's any erroneous information or anything that looks like a typo, let me know. If you have any suggestions to make this easier to read, I'm open. If you have any questions let me know.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Chaosphere

i can tell by your execution data on 22 1+2 you are using a dated version off baraka frame data,
2,2,1+2 - 12 (9 last hit) is the correct data so that the cancel adv of 2,2 is +25, there is no gaps in the 22 1+2 string

also f4 is not special cancelable

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
This is a yummy chart.

Yes.

If this chart were a chick at an airport bar, Quagmire would be on that shit. Giggity.
Is this the finished product?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Chaosphere

i can tell by your execution data on 22 1+2 you are using a dated version off baraka frame data,
2,2,1+2 - 12 (9 last hit) is the correct data so that the cancel adv of 2,2 is +25, there is no gaps in the 22 1+2 string

also f4 is not special cancelable
Oh crap. Alright. I'll update it as soon as possible. Thanks!

2,2 1+2 does have gaps. I've been uppercut-ed by johnny cage on block out of that combo a number of times. It was after 2,2. Also I read a TYM post about interruptible strings in mk9 and this was one for baraka. I believe pig of the hut wrote that posting

1man3letters

2,2 1+2 does have gaps. I've been uppercut-ed by johnny cage on block out of that combo a number of times. It was after 2,2. Also I read a TYM post about interruptible strings in mk9 and this was one for baraka. I believe pig of the hut wrote that posting
if the 1st hit of 1+2 comes out in 12 frames and 22 has a cancel adv on block of +25,
2nd hit of 1+2 comes out in 9 frames and 22 1+2 has cancel adv on block of ≥+17, were are the gaps???

i was just going on the data given by somberness on this but ill try get out after the 22 but from the data it shouldnt be possible

if the 1st hit of 1+2 comes out in 12 frames and 22 has a cancel adv on block of +25,
2nd hit of 1+2 comes out in 9 frames and 22 1+2 has cancel adv on block of ≥+17, were are the gaps???

i was just going on the data given by somberness on this but ill try get out after the 22 but from the data it shouldnt be possible

22 if canceled by itself is cant be interrupted but the 12 frame gap between can be. Especially by characters with fast uppercuts and low hitboxes. it happened offline quit a few times against Johnny Cage so I don't think it was a glitch. He blocked 22 and uppercuted the 1+2 while crouching

1man3letters

22 if canceled by itself is cant be interrupted but the 12 frame gap between can be. Especially by characters with fast uppercuts and low hitboxes. it happened offline quit a few times against Johnny Cage so I don't think it was a glitch. He blocked 22 and uppercuted the 1+2 while crouching
is not a 12 frame gap,its active in 12 frames and if 22 has cancel adv of +25 you have +13 frames to spare of block stun, like i said ill check it out but the maths say you cant

is not a 12 frame gap,its active in 12 frames and if 22 has cancel adv of +25 you have +13 frames to spare of block stun, like i said ill check it out but the maths say you cant
Played against Sektor lastnight and 22 1+2 was uppercuted while crouch blocking immediately after 22. Low hitbox characters like Cage, Sector, Jax can interrupt. 22 cancel is unbeatable but the full combo is. I dont think it works for every character, only the lowest hitboxes in mk9.

1man3letters

Somberness can you help us out here please

it has been said and in checking with others had happened to them were if 22 is blocked is blocked crouching the following 1+2 can be beaten by a 6-8 frame move by the low hitbox chars? could it be possible 22 has different block stun/cancel on block adv on a crouching opp making the 1+2 beatable like with beating radiens b3 string and jax f4 strings?

2,2,1+2 - 12 (9 last hit) is the excution data,
block cancel adv of 2,2 is +25,
is the data from the frame data thread so from that there should be no gaps??

edit:in testing there i can cage xray and d1 while blocking 22 crouching,

Somberness can you help us out here please

it has been said and in checking with others had happened to them were if 22 is blocked is blocked crouching the following 1+2 can be beaten by a 6-8 frame move by the low hitbox chars? could it be possible 22 has different block stun/cancel on block adv on a crouching opp making the 1+2 beatable like with beating radiens b3 string and jax f4 strings?

2,2,1+2 - 12 (9 last hit) is the excution data,
block cancel adv of 2,2 is +25,
is the data from the frame data thread so from that there should be no gaps??

edit:in testing there i can cage xray and d1 while blocking 22 crouching,

I did some testing with Sektor in Training mode. While crouching on block the second 2 in 221+2 whiffs leaving and opening to interrupt. 22 will not special cancel on crouch blocking low hitbox characters. need to test on which characters this happens. but i know Sektor and Cage for sure.

1man3letters

I did some testing with Sektor in Training mode. While crouching on block the second 2 in 221+2 whiffs leaving and opening to interrupt. 22 will not special cancel on crouch blocking low hitbox characters. need to test on which characters this happens. but i know Sektor and Cage for sure.
ah good stuff man, i always play training mode with those damage things off, them white things floating about the place when doing combos annoy the piss outta me :mad: same with the collision region
so its nothing to do with 22 having different cancel adv on crouching, just that the 2nd 2 cant hit :rolleyes: oops!
yea checked there all low hitbox chars the 2nd hit whiffs on crouching, well thats that string out the window vs low hitboxs,dame im suprized i havnt been blown up more for trying it against them haha

ah good stuff man, i always play training mode with those damage things off, them white things floating about the place when doing combos annoy the piss outta me :mad: same with the collision region
so its nothing to do with 22 having different cancel adv on crouching, just that the 2nd 2 cant hit :rolleyes: oops!
yea checked there all low hitbox chars the 2nd hit whiffs on crouching, well thats that string out the window vs low hitboxs,dame im suprized i havnt been blown up more for trying it against them haha

Lol yeah I think everyones too scared to try an interrupt Raka on that combo. We better keep it a secret from the rest of TYM! I have though been using 4-slices cancel alot. The 4 changes the hitbox on Low hitbox characters so that all slices hits will connect and it will combo if block is not pressed in time. 19% unscaled damage regular slices on hit, 29% midscreen ex slice- charge, 45% corner full combo (41% if used after reset) 13% if 4 connects but slices blocked, 15% ex-slice block plus meter build/rebuild.

On a different note, I discovered that without meter sector regular tele-punch will be punished by f44 pretty much everytime even midscreen. In the corner I do f44, 4 ex-spin for 35% punish everytime. Also if Sector is knocked down by b4 his ex-tele-punch and ex flame thrower can be f44 punished on wake-up. I discovered it by mistake with sektor set on wake-up mode. I had him on stand block and b4 to knockdown then tried different ways to punish his wake-ups. f44 worked everytime after b4 knockdown. f44 must be executed instantly to work.

Also with Sektor on expert mode, I b4 in the corner after a full combo (no reset) b4 would whiff if the computer teleported but Raka would recover block for full punish or if ex-version I would f44, 4-slices, or slices (ex-tele is -6 on block) anything other than block would be punished. Most Sektors like to attack after ex-tele because of his 6 frame punches. I figure a reaction punish will keep them honest. If no wake-up and b4 is blocked +11 advantage; I usually 4-slices (EX) in this situation for punish or 6-8% chip damage plus meter build. His up missile can be spark punished, if spark is released the moment the up missile (70 frames) animation begins. Raka will recover before a teleport can be initiated. regular missile is -12 on block (charge or spin punish depending on spacing) flamethrower -18 block (charge, 4, f44 etc pending spacing).

I pretty much killed every aspect of Sektors game by instant reactions and punishes. I'm working on Raiden next. I saw pig of the hut (video tutorial) punish Raiden teleport on reaction by exploiting his 13 frames of vulnerability. basically if you react to his teleport as the animation begins any move 12 frames or less will punish even if Raiden player holds block. Takes some major concentration but if I get my reaction game right I can at-least keep him from tele-spamming which would change the match-up greatly in rakas favor.

I think f44 neutralizes Quanchi's wake up teleport game also. Gonna test it later. f44 might be the tele-Cryptonite of MK9

1man3letters

4~slices is good for meter but i dont throw it out when im looking for damage, the follow up special should always be blocked,4 on whiff is really bad aswell,it its true slices wont whiff though after a 4 cancel like with b32~slices

about the f44 against wakeups, there was a thread made before about baraka stuffing wakeups and it went no were, theres to many variables,did the opp do the wakeup on 1st possible frame? does he has the 11 frame wake up armor active? has he delayed his wakeup? it will get you in more trouble than it will get you out off if your exspecting it to work 100% of time in a real match

also yea b4 is great for baits because it recovers so fast,same with u3

4~slices is good for meter but i dont throw it out when im looking for damage, the follow up special should always be blocked,4 on whiff is really bad aswell,it its true slices wont whiff though after a 4 cancel like with b32~slices

about the f44 against wakeups, there was a thread made before about baraka stuffing wakeups and it went no were, theres to many variables,did the opp do the wakeup on 1st possible frame? does he has the 11 frame wake up armor active? has he delayed his wakeup? it will get you in more trouble than it will get you out off if your exspecting it to work 100% of time in a real match

also yea b4 is great for baits because it recovers so fast,same with u3
I mostly 4-slices when I know im at +9 advantage or better and in close range. As his fastest standing normal, it forces opponents to block as even the fastest poke will be punished in this scenario due to its speed and low hitbox. Most times it does combo, but I'll take the chip damage to keep opponents on block and meter build buffer other riskier strategies. Defense to offense is the strategy i'm working on. I think Raka players need great reaction time on punish and defense to compete against the best characters. So I read alot of frame data and practice against the fastest characters to buffer my skills. Once I catch on to Raiden teleport I'll be good to go. Right now I can F44 CSZ, Cyrax, Kung lao, Sektor, Quan and Rain teleports on reaction or anticipation for punish. F44, 4 Charge (25%)-mid screen F44, 4, ex-spin (35%)-corner.

I believe the computer did the wake-up on the first available frame. Especially on the wake-up setting in training mode. I dont have a sparing partner to help but most times the computer will wake-up instantly under pressure. I guess its a good starting point to know that F44 kills tele-wakeups, It forces the opponent to play your game and you can mix it in with other tools (overusing a move will kill any strategy). If B4, F44 is indeed as strong a wake-up killer as I think, it would trap certain characters in the corner like johnny cage does most of the cast. Can you test it with someone offline? If it works then it would make tourney combat against teleporters alot easier.

As a CSZ player...these charts make my mind go parry happy.
Lol dont forget that parry is week to low attacks. one false parry and your ass is chopped grass in Baraka's blades. I have put many CSZ's on their knees cause they thought they could parry for free. Check my rhymes bro- Raka style! Word!!!

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Lol dont forget that parry is week to low attacks. one false parry and your ass is chopped grass in Baraka's blades. I have put many CSZ's on their knees cause they thought they could parry for free. Check my rhymes bro- Raka style! Word!!!
I know that. I doubt any CSZ will mash out parry like that. I mention the parry because I just need a one frame gap if I time it perfectly to get you with it. Baraka's low starter b3 canceled into a special is safe against being parried but CSZ can punish certain moves with a slide. Once he fears that, he will do b3 1 which has a 2 frame gap, making it possible for me to parry in-between. This adds a layer to the mind game and you know what? I don't even have to worry about them knowing this, because no one spends their time learning the CSZ match-up as much as I do. The "low-tier" characters have the luxury of surprise :)

1man3letters

I believe the computer did the wake-up on the first available frame. Especially on the wake-up setting in training mode. I dont have a sparing partner to help but most times the computer will wake-up instantly under pressure. I guess its a good starting point to know that F44 kills tele-wakeups, It forces the opponent to play your game and you can mix it in with other tools (overusing a move will kill any strategy). If B4, F44 is indeed as strong a wake-up killer as I think, it would trap certain characters in the corner like johnny cage does most of the cast. Can you test it with someone offline? If it works then it would make tourney combat against teleporters alot easier.
thats the point i was trying to get across,it prob isnt as good as you think for snuffing those wakeups because of all the variables, i tested it with human last night and it isnt that good,not useless but just not as good as ya made out but good stuff for thinking outside the box unlike many who wont

thats the point i was trying to get across,it prob isnt as good as you think for snuffing those wakeups because of all the variables, i tested it with human last night and it isnt that good,not useless but just not as good as ya made out but good stuff for thinking outside the box unlike many who wont
What characters did you test F44 on and in what situations did you test it? i.e. Instant wake-up attempt, corner, midscreen, EX vs non, delayed. Remember i'm talking tele-wakeups. The idea is not to overuse it, but to constrain certain characters options in a match. For example, Sektor without meter would not be able to use his tele-wakeup to escape Raka's corner pressure once he gets punished by F44 a few times. Scorpion is the same without meter F44 kills teleport in the corner.

An opponent can delay a wake-up but if that is read b4 will bring them out of delayed position or force them to make a move. Either way it makes them more predictable and to me a predictable teleporter is a dead teleporter. Especially when teleporting is a big part of their combo game. Ive gotten good enough on reation to punish the non-wakeup (non-ex) midscreen teleports of Cyrax, CSZ, Rain and Kung lao with F44 combos. It forces them to play more of a ground game, which is much more winnable to Raka.

1man3letters

What characters did you test F44 on and in what situations did you test it? i.e. Instant wake-up attempt, corner, midscreen, EX vs non, delayed. Remember i'm talking tele-wakeups. The idea is not to overuse it, but to constrain certain characters options in a match. For example, Sektor without meter would not be able to use his tele-wakeup to escape Raka's corner pressure once he gets punished by F44 a few times. Scorpion is the same without meter F44 kills teleport in the corner.

An opponent can delay a wake-up but if that is read b4 will bring them out of delayed position or force them to make a move. Either way it makes them more predictable and to me a predictable teleporter is a dead teleporter. Especially when teleporting is a big part of their combo game. Ive gotten good enough on reation to punish the non-wakeup (non-ex) midscreen teleports of Cyrax, CSZ, Rain and Kung lao with F44 combos. It forces them to play more of a ground game, which is much more winnable to Raka.

could u possibly make a video to make it more clear what u talking about?(with a human and cpu wakeup if possible)
visual aid would be handy

could u possibly make a video to make it more clear what u talking about?(with a human and cpu wakeup if possible)
visual aid would be handy

Im not sure on the setup it takes to record a good video. What device do you guys use to record and post online? Ive seen people use regular cameras but those dont look as good most times.

1man3letters

Im not sure on the setup it takes to record a good video. What device do you guys use to record and post online? Ive seen people use regular cameras but those dont look as good most times.
doesnt have to look good, just has to get the job done...much like baraka