What's new

Tech b+1,2 after a clone for situational combo starting

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I have noticed that ice pick (b1,2) has good range on a whiff of back 1. In some matches after popping up clones everywhere i have found that people will sometimes sit behind them and crouch block. Spartan kick is the obvious overhead that can be used but you have to get close for it to hit. If you throw b1(whiff),2 the ice pick hits as an overhead and you can xx ice ball for a full combo. I know against advanced players this is probly not a great idea. But its still something to think about for people who whore the crouch block against sub from out of normal physical range to block the slide.

Subby

Frost Warrior
People who see this coming will sometimes quickly go into standing block, rendering it useless. If anything, I would use a ice puddle at reasonable distance so if they jump, they would get caught by the clone.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
People who see this coming will sometimes quickly go into standing block, rendering it useless. If anything, I would use a ice puddle at reasonable distance so if they jump, they would get caught by the clone.
Ice puddle breaks the clone.

B1,2 is a terrible combo launcher, in my opinion. I would dash up and throw them to make them stop crouch blocking behind a clone. If they went ahead and did it again, I would dash up towards the clone as though I was coming to throw them again and then check them with the sweep because they'll probably release crouch block. I'd then f4, ice ball on their wakeup. Then you get your full combo...

Subby

Frost Warrior
Ice puddle breaks the clone.

B1,2 is a terrible combo launcher, in my opinion. I would dash up and throw them to make them stop crouch blocking behind a clone. If they went ahead and did it again, I would dash up towards the clone as though I was coming to throw them again and then check them with the sweep because they'll probably release crouch block. I'd then f4, ice ball on their wakeup. Then you get your full combo...
Not sure if correct, but doesn't it break when it is put down, not in the startup proccess of it? Anyway, use 22, always. Its your answer to almost ANYTHING!

Dark_Rob

Noob
I have noticed that ice pick (b1,2) has good range on a whiff of back 1. In some matches after popping up clones everywhere i have found that people will sometimes sit behind them and crouch block. Spartan kick is the obvious overhead that can be used but you have to get close for it to hit. If you throw b1(whiff),2 the ice pick hits as an overhead and you can xx ice ball for a full combo. I know against advanced players this is probly not a great idea. But its still something to think about for people who whore the crouch block against sub from out of normal physical range to block the slide.
This is kind of gimmicky. You might pull something like this off on someone new or who doesnt know Subzero's strings. But it would likely only work once or twice before they catch on. And against good players it wont even work once. You really want to stay away from gimmicks with Subzero as he can be punished severely for them. Sub is such a solid character anyway that he doesnt need gimmicks to win, just a solid strategy.

Case in point.^^ This is a much more solid strategy. Here Salvific describes the same situation and has multiple anwsers for it. His thinking is dynamic. It involves conditioning an opponent to do one thing in one instance which sets up a different anwser next time around. Hes not just thinking about scenario 1, but about scenarios 2,3, and 4 as well.
We all want to land the big combos with Sub because of the massive damage he can inflict. By having multiple setups,baits and mindgames much like what Salvific describes here, your much more likely to score that combo.