What's new

Avoiding the Puddle #94 ft. Guest GGA Dizzy

nugava

Noob
The guest on Aris' popular Avoiding the Puddle show this week was none other than GGA's own Omega Dizzy. Together, Dizzy and the AtP crew cover topics relating to the state of the game, the happenings at Combo Breaker, the future of the meta, etc.

Dizzy has a lot of interesting things to say, and is even willing to blow up a teammate or two along the way :)

*Edited by CrimsonShadow

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

virtiqaL

Noob
This was a very interesting episode, actually listened to it twice it was so good.

Enjoyed hearing Dizzy's take on where characters currently stand as far as viability.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I didn't even know they let the commentators be heard at the Combo Breaker venue, I always wanted that to be a thing especially when there's someone commentating that you enjoy. Plus as Aris said it gets into watching whatever game that's on even if you don't play/enjoy it coz at least you get some insight about what's goin on in the match.

Maybe if the let the speakers close to the stage not have the commentator's so everyone else can hear them but not the players on stage would help, but in my experience the right headphones should cancel pretty much all the noise including the commentators.
Hopefully another major tries it out soon to see if there's anything there.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I like this new "Grunge Era" look Dizzy has. He seems much more dangerous and mean. I respect it, very MKx.

Edit: just finished listening, This was a great episode. I would like to see and hear more from @GGA Dizzy as well, him and @Slips are 2 of the guys who are very easy to listen to when they talk about fighting games. They explain things very well, and have a great knowledge of what is going on in all aspects of the games they play.

Good shit, loved it.

Last edited:
This was a great listen, and I'm NOT surprised he said what he did about Kitana. Ppl on TYM try to downplay it but Kitana really is at a noticable disadvantage wen compared to pretty much everyone. High projectiles, virtually mixup, unsafe on pretty much everything, overhead that converts into nothing *sigh*.... I do believe shes one of the if notTHE worst character in the game as well. Especially in the current meta of rushdown 50/50 hell. You have to work HELLA hard to get what most characters can get in their sleep with Kitana.

Last edited:

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
  • Aris is such a talented speaker; I love listening to him even when I disagree with him.
  • Dizzy, thank you for finally demystifying option selects for us. I know personally I had no idea what I was even trying to accomplish input-wise.
  • IMO Aris is right about the spark of greatness that live match commentary brings. The main difference between sports with commentators vs. games is that the audience is looking at live people moving around vs staring at the backs of two players up on the stage with a projector. MLG was able to commentary off with MK9 by placing the speakers far away from (and in front of) the stream setup so players couldn't really hear anything even if they tried, so maybe that would work better. I think there's a lot of insight to be gained when you have commentators explaining what's happening, which I know has helped me immensely over the years. One thing I also think Rip didn't really consider is that the 1000 people at combo breaker are the audience that is most likely to pick up a second game and compete as opposed to the 40k watching from home, and the entry fees are what pay for the prize money, so IMO it's definitely in TO's interest to get people already in attendance into as many games as possible.
  • Definitely agree with Aris about Dizzy needing to start a stream. Do it!

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Are OS's getting remove or not? I really need to know to start practing them.
From what I gathered from Thursday's GBS stream, block/hit option selects are staying. While I think at least part of the tech could be patched by removing the ability to negate inputs, it seems like the other major part of it (that block frames have a longer duration than hit frames) would require a significant amount of work to patch out.