What's new

Are there no "MK like" pokes in this game?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Just got finished watching the PAX stream and it got me thinking. I have not seen on any single video for this game a character in any sort of animation resembling a poke. At least an mk version of a poke. I am beginning to think that NRS may have got rid of down pokes all together and instead make you utilize only your strings.

Has anyone else seen a poke at all? Do they exist!? I MUST KNOW!

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I think we'll see how this all plays out on Sunday during the PAX demonstration with some real players playin'. These guys've had more time with with the game than any others we've seen thus far, so I'm really excited.

So would it be better if Injustice had no effective pokes or does that suck from a technical perspective?
That would suck.

Edit...ill clarify, it wouldn't have to be exactly like Mk but you need pokes for spacing, footsies, gaining advantage, stuffing, checking...I mean Mk is my only real competitive fighter but it seems pokes are more or less a necessity

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So it is confirmed that there are d1's? To anyone that has played the demo, were specials bufferable from d1?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
So would it be better if Injustice had no effective pokes or does that suck from a technical perspective?

Don't worry at all. There are still pokes, just not the ones your use to.
They are using the Tekken system for pokes now. This is actually what I had hoped they did when MK9 wasn't released yet and I'm SUPER excited that they're doing it in this game instead. Everyone in the game from their movelist had a very similar standing and crouching jab and I knew immediately the direction they were taking for up close pressure in Injustice.

Okay let me explain. In Tekken the two main pokes are standing and crouching jabs. They are both usually (most characters) are tied for your fastest moves but they have some key differences and uses.

Standing jabs usually by themselves have advantage on block but also every character could go into a string from the jab that they could use for pressure, punishing attacks that are barely not safe, frame traps, setting up mixups, and spacing.

Crouching jabs end up being the best for stopping pressure though because they duck you. From what I've seen from Injustice it seems like there are alot of high blockable normal attacks for characters (like the strings that start with standing jab that everyone has). So plain and simple, if you predict your opponent is going to go for a high, you could preemptively crouching jab (or something else that crushes high attacks).

Okay so TL;DR I wouldn't be afraid that there will be less depth. It'll just be different. And heads up to all Tekken junkys like me that'll pick up pressure a little quicker.