What's new

Strategy - Kobu Jutsu All the Chip Damage in the World!!

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
I've never seen anyone do this, only something similar with the teleport cancels which are not plus anymore, so this may be new tech or just strategy.

Alright, many of you might have already noticed that Tanya can use as much meter as she wants, she'll always have at least one bar. She's like Goro, consistently building meter even as they combo their opponents. So, I made a video where I added the total chip damage she can deal on her opponents assuming she has 3 bars of meter.

This means that this may be the perfect strategy to use on a second or third round instead of attempting to land a risky X ray. You could even use it to finish your opponent off if you see they only have about 40% life left. And you know what's even better? People is usually bad at having patience so after spending the second bar you may already have them in a combo. Either way, you'll be spending 4 bars total lol
Anyway, enough talking, here's the video.

So what do you guys think?
Discuss.

Last edited:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Can't you just duck the tonfa?

It's still a viable chip setup, but if your opponent reads it he can punish you.
No, you can't duck, you're pinned to the floor blocking. As soon as your opponent lands the first high on the 1, 1, 2 string or the 3, 4 string you're trapped 'till I make a mistake in my timing(which is REALLY tight), or 'till I'm out of meter.
Now, consider a jump in, then the standing 1 will jail, so no way out unless you push block or I make a mistake.

Wow I didn't know you couldn't armor out of all that...

What the
Yeah, I played a few people at SCR and no one seemed to know you couldn't armor through that.
BTW, you still owe me that set we never got to play after that talk we had. And thanks for the pro advice.

Wow I didn't know you couldn't armor out of all that...

What the
WTF I discovered this the first day Tanya was released, it's probably in my twitch archives still and that shit sucks because you can let the last kick of the string hit you making Tanya waste a bar of meter with only slight damage. Ask that guy to record the blocking string and and then let the last kick hit him, it launches you lol and the tofan toss is a waste of meter plus that's like a 2 frames tight not reliable block string ;)

Yes 112 is the reliable one and should be used only to kill off your opponent, no one wants to spend 3 bars of meters for like 27% cheap damage and lose the turn or 3 bars of meter for 30% just to get armored through or be unsafe at the end of the string.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
You can just make the returning projectile whiff by crouching, you just have to make sure that you block the first hit crouching. I think its -7 or so.

Someone beat me to it as I was writing it dammit :(

Last edited:
You can just make the returning projectile whiff by crouching, you just have to make sure that you block the first hit crouching. I think its -7 or so.

Someone beat me to it as I was writing it dammit :(
Hmm it only works sometimes and I think is a bug because it works like maybe 5% of the time

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Hmm it only works sometimes and I think is a bug because it works like maybe 5% of the time
It's character dependent. Some characters it's actually guaranteed, some it works 33% of the time, others 50%, others 90%... It has to do with breathing hurtboxes (Shoutouts to NRS).

I tried it before posting the video and it didn't work...
If you duck block the first hit of ex tonfa toss, then you can neutral duck the second hit. However, Kung Lao is one of the characters that it randomly jails on about 50% of the time (maybe more). So, yes you can abuse this against like half the cast, but not most of the females and ninjas.

@STB Dragon made a thread about this but I can't find it anymore...

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Ducking the tonfa on the way back doesnt work against every string. So it needs to be explored a bit more. Maybe it's character specific too.

Dragon_FGC

Knowledge is power
It's character dependent. Some characters it's actually guaranteed, some it works 33% of the time, others 50%, others 90%... It has to do with breathing hurtboxes (Shoutouts to NRS).

If you duck block the first hit of ex tonfa toss, then you can neutral duck the second hit. However, Kung Lao is one of the characters that it randomly jails on about 50% of the time (maybe more). So, yes you can abuse this against like half the cast, but not most of the females and ninjas.

@STB Dragon made a thread about this but I can't find it anymore...
Ducking the tonfa on the way back doesnt work against every string. So it needs to be explored a bit more. Maybe it's character specific too.
Here it is FYI. :) http://testyourmight.com/threads/characters-that-tanyas-ex-tanfa-throw-whiffs-on-how-to-punish-it-who-b2-works-on-to-stuff-armor.56235/