What's new

Strategy 1,3,f4 String

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I'm playing around with the 1,3,f4 string to find out if there is any useful application to it. So far I've found it to not be that great, but there are a few little quirks worth mentioning.

(1) After a NJP, 1,3,f4 has more pushback that any other string. About 1-2 feet more than NJP,b2,1,2,1,2. Unfortunately it is also the least damaging option available.

(2) Midscreen, you an 1,3, Ice Clone, and the clone's foot is right in their face with no room to move forward. This is the closest I've been able to put a clone reliably, and it will not whiff unless the string is performed after an iceball or done in the corner. EDIT: Because of the stance, I don't think it's possible to jump over this clone.

(3) When 1,3,f4 is used to pressure someone in the corner, it is very easy to end up on the wrong side of the opponent if you follow up with 2,2,2.

(4) It is impossible to combo 1,3 into a Freeze.

So far the only real option I'm seeing is using the 1,3, Ice Clone against heavy rushers (Reptile, Kabal), but even with a jumping in punch, it only nets 11%.

Has anyone found a use for this string? I've checked the combo threads, and it seems as if it doesn't even exist. I'm having a hard time believing that it doesn't have SOME use, however.

Cheers! -SKM

SilverKeyMan

Quoted out-of-context from a different thread:

I actually saw someone use the 1,3,b4 after a blocked 1,2 just to get the knockdown on the sweep.
This lead me to the idea of using 1,3,b4 as a mid-screen combo ender to keep the opponent close enough to continue pressure on them. Unfortunately I'm looking at 9% less damage than the typical 2,1,4,Slide combo ender, and it doesn't really leave me much closer than a 2,1,4,Slide would, so I can't quite see the benefit yet.

*mumbles to himself*

This combo string MUST have some use.

SilverKeyMan

(4) It is impossible to combo 1,3 into a Freeze.
Ends up I was partially wrong on this one. I'm in training mode at the moment, and the 1,3 string can be combo'd into a freeze ONLY when the opponent is in the corner. It ends up there are some useful mixups for this:

(1) 1,3,f4 - Ends with an overhead.
(2) 1,3,b4 - Ends with a sweep.
(3) 1,3,Freeze - If blocked, Sub-Zero gets pushed back. Some attacks (Scorpions faster attacks like 1 or f2 will miss due to distance, but his slower b2 overhead attack will still connect). This is probably the safest blocked freeze I have ever seen.

The string I really wanna know the use for is f+4,1+2. The thing is punishable on HIT! What's the point of it?!

Beat11

The Improvisor
The string I really wanna know the use for is f+4,1+2. The thing is punishable on HIT! What's the point of it?!
It was supossed to be the low hit mix up for the sparta kick that launches the opponent far but honestly, i don't know what they were thinking when they made it that slow AND they never gave it an overhead counterpart for mix ups which makes this useless since everyone will just block low.
It gives good chip damage tho.

It was supossed to be the low hit mix up for the sparta kick that launches the opponent far but honestly, i don't know what they were thinking when they made it that slow AND they never gave it an overhead counterpart for mix ups which makes this useless since everyone will just block low.
It gives good chip damage tho.
4% chip? That's not good. You get 5% from Sub's main block-strings.

SilverKeyMan

I've always viewed Sub-Zero's f4,1+2 string as a "you suck so bad, I'm throwing this shit at you and STILL winning" sort of tactic.

Creepy00

Noob
you can use to push your opponent into the corner
Depending the character i m playing against i use 212 ex iceball, 13f4.
Waste one bar but grants corner pressure.

I don't find the wall-carry of 1,3,f+4 that great. In theory, it's the best Sub has, but unfortunately Sub causes the opp to stay in one spot because of the recovery, and the fact that two characters have a minimum range they have to stay within. If you could recovery fast enough to Slide after them it would be awesome for wall-carry. Maybe that's a buff they should've considered.

Checked out the string and I noticed a few things.

This string has no unique animation. Want to do 1 3 ice clone? You can just as easily do 3 ice clone. 1 3 f+4 over head? It's exactly the same as a neutral F4. 1 3 B4? Exactly like a sweep. This string just puts together a 3 normal attacks.

The 1 3 ice clone is useful for something like mileena's teleport, but useless to block her roll (just like 214 ice clone).

Even though the opponent cannot jump over the clone, they have a lot of room to operate in the corner since the hitbox is the torso and head.

jrockp

Noob
One mix-up that i like to do is after ice clone are ice blast catches them in the air is to do njp 3,f4 into ex. ground freeze.I find that
it really works well when people like to stay grounded or block on wake-up.When they get use to that you can always throw out a clone in place of the ex. ground freeze to keep them guessing.

Im not sure if it is just for styling or if it is acctually good damage. But here is TylerLantern using the string (second and third combo in the video). Granted it is good damage, it is HIGHLY situational...

Edit: Including link lol.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TylerLantern#p/u/32/443qmsAEMIQ
Thanks for the link. That's awesome, it seems to barely scale the follow-ups at all. Sadly, I don't think there's a match-viable way to freeze them from it. Maybe if you Clone and they jump over it, and you AA them with it. Still unlikely, though.

i put an ex ice clone in the corner and combod 13f4 into it and it left the opponent standing and frozen from the ice clone and reset the damage when he fell into the clone.

i put an ex ice clone in the corner and combod 13f4 into it and it left the opponent standing and frozen from the ice clone and reset the damage when he fell into the clone.
That's really cool. Gonna be hard to set that up in a proper match, though : (